Bali: Part 2

So the last thing I posted was just after my sunrise trek of Mt. Batur. I had mentioned that I was planning on going to check out the Ubud markets later in the afternoon and that is exactly what I did.  I haven’t really had too much experience with bargaining before this but I gave it my best shot.  It took some getting used to but by the end I was getting items for less then half of the original asking price!  I was pretty proud of myself and am definitely happy to have this skill for the rest of my travels in SE asia.

The next day I decided to go to Tanah Lot with a Hungarian girl from my hostel.  Tanah Lot is a beautiful temple by the sea, which is about an hour drive from Ubud.  Now to get there we either had to hire a taxi, motor taxi (guy driving a motor cycle with you on the back) or book a tour.  We were having a lot of trouble because we didn’t want to spend too much money and every time we asked about tours they ended up being booked.  In the end we managed to bargain with some motor taxi drivers and off we went!  For those who don’t know, motor scooters are a main form of transportation in SE Asia so you’ll find them all over the place, weaving in and out of traffic.  It’s pretty incredible to witness.

This was my first time on a motor bike so I was a bit nervous at first, but after a few minutes it was fine and it was a really cool way to see the Bali country side.  After a little over an hour and the driver stopping a few times for directions, we made it to Tanah Lot.  As I said before Tanah lot is this beautiful temple by the ocean.   We were able to walk around a bit since there are a few different parts. There was also a part of the temple that you had to walk through water to get to, which was pretty cool.

After the temple, the Hungarian girl and I parted ways since she wasn’t going back to Ubud and I went with my motor bike driver back to Ubud.  On the way we stopped for some traditional Balinese food, which in this case was suckling pig with rice and pig’s blood.  It was amazing!  We also stopped at a friend of my drivers so he could show me his friend’s wood carving.  While I was there they asked me what my profession was and after I told them I was a scientist back home they asked if I was single, which was pretty funny.  Don’t worry, I’m not coming back with a Balinese husband.

Once I or back to Ubud I went to check out a temple that is behind the Starbucks there based in a recommendation from a girl at my hostel.  She wouldn’t tell me exactly why it was so special but wanted me to see if for myself.  It was absolutely beautiful, but I’ll let the pictures explain why.

So that’s it for bali!  I’m currently waiting in the Kuala Lumpur airport on a layover to Ho Chi Minh, where I’ll start my Vietnam adventures. Stay tuned for my next post!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s